Thursday, February 16, 2012

Hawk in the Park



I led a photography workshop at the James P. Kelleher Rose Garden in Boston's Back Bay Fens in January.  This was the only workshop of the five I led for the Boston Parks Department where there was snow on the ground.  That morning I reassured myself that unlike Virginians, Bostonians would not be deterred by less than a foot of snow.

(Alright, I admit it... I would have liked to declare a six-inches-of-snow emergency a la Fairfax County and stay home in my PJ's until I was ready to go sledding.)

I made the trip with with my SLR and my hotties and was glad to be joined by TEN hearty souls. After the lesson we spread out to begin shooting, walking along the water towards the War Memorial.  I soon spotted a hawk totally focused on a rather weak old goose.  A few of the workshop participants also took interest in the spectacle and I think our hawk gawking spared the goose some precious time.

Sometimes one hunter can deter another. I'm not sure what happened to the goose in the end, but here's what I staked out that day: